Monday, July 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Aiden

Today was Aiden's 8th birthday in heaven.  His coming birthday weighs heavy on my heart every summer.  I know it's coming.  It's a time that I look forward, but I wish I was celebrating it in much different ways. 

I have learned over the years since Aiden has passed how to grieve for him, yet celebrate his life and all the goodness, love and blessings that he has brought our family.   I am prepared for this day, but in some respects, my emotions always seem to sneak up on me in unexpected ways.  I feel like I should be used to this by now, but I'm not.  I think I'm actually thankful for this.  Thankful that Aiden's life continuously brings me something new to think about.

This year just feels different though. This year, I am haunted by the fact in one more short month, I will celebrate another heavenly birthday.  Ugh.  It's hard. 

But, I'll stop there and put my conflicting emotions aside.  Today was about Aiden and the joy he has brought us.

-------------------------------------------

We had a wonderful day today as a family- celebrating all that we are together.  We talked about Aiden and all shared ideas of what we thought he would like to do, what his favorite games to play would be, what his favorite food would be, etc.  We laughed together and we explored together.  We loved one another.  We do these things every day, but today, we really slowed down and just soaked each other up. 

We decided at the last minute to hop in to the car and head to Wild Mountain in Taylors Falls.  We always do something special on Aiden's birthday and this year we decided to do something that we thought he would like- something that I'm sure he would have loved to do and something that would be memorable and fun for Gavin and Gabe too.  So, we packed a cooler and off we went! 

-------------------------------------------

Seeing Gavin and Gabe have so much fun, never gets old.  They are becoming such courageous little men and I just love watching them grow up!  Gabe wanted to go down the water slides with me so, I snuggled up behind him and held him tight as we hopped in our inner tubes and headed down the slides.  We squealed with delight around every twist and corner- getting splashed along the way!  It was so refreshing and I really needed that!

I managed to find myself headed down one of the waterslides all by myself and I embraced the moment by reaching my arms out to the heavens and as tears filled my eyes, I sent Aiden a kiss. 

Happy Birthday, little boy.  Your mommy loves you!

-------------------------------------------

As we were driving home from our little adventure, we were admiring a beautiful sunset.  Gavin shared that he thought that Jesus sent such a beautiful sunset for us to see because it was Aiden's birthday. 

I told him that I thought he as right and that I couldn't agree more! 

The picture doesn't quite to it justice, but it was a bright, orange sunset.  The boys thought it looked like lava.  It's very fitting for Aiden's birthday because Aiden's name means "little fire."


Sweet dreams, little boy.  I can only imagine the celebrations that you had in heaven today!



No comments:

Post a Comment