Sunday, October 12, 2014

Capture your Grief - Week 1

Capture Your Grief is an act of remembrance and awareness. It is a mindful healing project for anyone who is grieving the death of a baby or child of any age or gestation. I hope to bring awareness and compassion to the bereaved parent’s community by participating throughout the month of October- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.

My grief is not as raw as is used to be, but it will forever be a part of me and my healing is very much a continuous and on-going process. I haven’t taken part in ‘Capture Your Grief’ before and was hesitant to do so this year, but I remember how alone and misunderstood I have felt in the past and in an attempt to save others from this hurt, I will share my heart and my journey throughout the month.

So, in honor of our boys, Aiden and Jeremiah, and in honor of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, here we go...




There are 31 subjects for Capture Your Grief, one for each day in the month of October. I will try to share a photo that captures my journey with each daily subject that inspires my heart.



Day 1: Sunrise
So, it’s not exactly a sunrise. It’s a day-late-and-many-hours-past-sunrise picture. But, such is life… It doesn’t always go as planned now does it?
In the early days of my grief, waking up each morning was such a chore. There was no gratefulness in my heart for being blessed with another day of living. Through my eyes, it was simply another day without my son(s) and facing these days, with the reality of my life before me and the pain I felt deep down in my soul, it just felt unbearable. I knew that I had to keep on living, but I hated that life wouldn’t slow down. I couldn’t make sense of my son’s life and death. I hated the pain in my heart.
“Because of the Lord’ great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” – Lamentations 3:22-23 (NIV)
We often can get stuck living in our grief, or living in the past or the future, but this verse reminds me that God wants me to live one day at a time. His grace and His compassions, they are new every morning.
Each day, we should live filled with God’s joy, love and excitement for that day. Every morning, God gives us new grace to enjoy that day. So, take time to enjoy those little moments with God because His grace is for today. When tomorrow comes, we’ll have grace, too; but today’s grace is for today.

 
Day 2: Heart
 { Aiden Robert Roth July 2, 2004 }  -----  { Jeremiah Oliver Roth August 4, 2011 }
I had so many dreams for you two! My heart swelled the moment I knew of your existence. Your lives and the places that your lives and deaths have taken me has filled my faith to overflowing. You have enriched my life and our family’s life beyond compare.
 
I thought I would be teaching Aiden and Jeremiah about life and love, but it has completely been the other way around. My two little boys, who never spoke a word, who never opened their eyes to view the wonders of this world, have taught me more about life and love that I could have imagined.
I carry your heart, baby boys. {I carry it in my heart}
 
 
Day 3: Before
This picture is in the early weeks of my pregnancy with Jeremiah (2011). I was in such a good place emotionally having spent so many years working on healing and restoring my heart after the loss of our first son, Aiden. I was physically the healthiest and fittest that I had been in years too. I felt like I could take on the world! We were beyond thrilled and filled with excitement and love for the little one growing in my belly!
Each of my pregnancies has carried its share of fear and anxiety because of our experience in losing our first son and in knowing the difficulties that my body has carrying a child, but we were in great medical care and any known medical concerns that we had were addressed and being attended to. I was strong and we were ready for this little one!
In the back of my head I would try to calm my fears and tell myself that we had lost one child already and there was no way we would ever lose another. Oh, how I wish that was true...
 
 4th of July, 2014 - 2 days after we celebrated Aiden’s 10th birthday in heaven.

Day 4: Now
 
I am very much a work in progress, but I love who I am today. My life isn’t perfect, my heart still hurts, but I have been blessed with an abundantly beautiful life.
Somewhere along my grief journey I made a choice to stop focusing on what I had lost, but to focus on what I had gained. I would never choose to go through the heartache and devastation that we went through again, but I am so grateful for the journey that my grief has sent me on. My faith is stronger than it ever has been and I am thankful for how God has shaped and changed my heart throughout my healing.
 
 

Day 5: Journal
Journaling is like having a window to your soul. It is a place where you can give your emotions an outlet. It is a place where your deepest thoughts can reside without fear of judgment or any need for justification.
Journaling (blogging) has definitely had a place in my grief and healing journey. I wish I could find (make) the time to slow down, reflect and write more. There is such a great beauty in releasing your thoughts and feelings to paper (or computer screen). I feel a sense of strength and courage when I am able to look back and re-read my journal entries and see the progress that I have made.
I don’t write or blog much these days, but I have found that having a creative outlet can be just as fulfilling. I love surrounding myself with words of inspiration and hope and it brings my soul such a joy to be able to share these words of wisdom, that have helped and encouraged me, with others.
 
Day 6: Books
I have read quite a few books in the years since the loss of our boys, but one that really brought a lot of healing to my heart was “I Will Carry You” by Angie Smith. This book gave many of my thoughts and feelings a voice that I hadn’t been able to find or pinpoint before reading it. It brought me closer and helped me realize that there is a very safe place with the Lord where we don't have to have all of the answers. Read that again. Slowly. We don't need to have all of the answers. That was HUGE for me.
God is perfectly capable of revealing Himself in His time. I don't need to try to fill all the gaps. I believe that these gaps in our understanding are there to serve as opportunities to lean into Him despite the gaps being there. I had been leaning into God as I was grieving and healing my heart, but this book and the stories shared within its pages encouraged me to lean into my faith and trust God even more.
 
 
Day 7: Sacred Place

I still remember the very first time we attended Eagle Brook Church. The worship music started and my heart was overwhelmed with a comfort and peace that I had desperately yearned and searched for in the years after we lost Aiden. Tears streamed down my cheeks and I knew that I had finally found a safe place. I felt like I was ‘home.’

Years later, I am still moved to tears nearly every single week during the worship music. That same comfort and peace fills my heart and I know that my boys are with me in those moments. I close my eyes, reach out my hands beside me and imagine my little boys holding my hands as we sing and worship together. I can feel them with me. These are some of my most sacred and cherished moments.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment